Apply for Citizenship
First time passport application for children.
Before applying for a first passport for a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen, an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) needs to be applied for.
To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, applicants need:
- Child’s local birth certificate
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship of parent(s)
- Parents’ marriage certificate (if born in wedlock)
- Divorce decree or Death certificate (if parent was previously married)
- Evidence of citizen parent’s physical presence in the USA for at least 5 years
- Completed DS-2029 form (PDF 344 KB)
- $100 fee or equivalent in Ouguiya
- All foreign language documents must be translated into English by a competent authority.
- If child was born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father and a Mauritanian mother, the father must complete an affidavit of parentage, physical presence and support (DS-5507 form PDF 280 KB).
If you would like information about how to renounce your U.S. citizenship email us at ConsularNKC@state.gov