The U.S. Embassy in Nouakchott informs U.S. citizens the Mauritanian Ministry of Defense has announced a new military red zone in Northern Mauritania. The new red zone is situated between Cheggat, Ain Bentili, Dhar Tichitt, and Lemreyye. Mauritanian authorities now prohibit travel in this area. The Ministry of Defense has advised the public that any person who enters the zone is putting their life in danger.
A map of the new red zone provided by the Mauritania Army can be found here.
The previously restricted security zone also remains in effect: You must have permission from the Mauritanian authorities to travel to the eastern half of the Tagant region (east of Tidjikja), the eastern half of the Adrar region (east of Ouadane), and the Zemmour region (other than F’Derick and Zouerat).
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Mauritania Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Mauritania located between the Presidency building and the Spanish Embassy on Rue Abdallaye. The postal address is B.P. 222, Nouakchott, Mauritania, at + (222) 4525-2660, Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Friday 8 a.m. to 12: 00 a.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is + (222) 3662-8163.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.