The U.S. Embassy in Nouakchott would like to remind all U.S. citizens in Mauritania that alcohol is illegal in Mauritania and there are no restaurants in the city of Nouakchott that serve alcoholic beverages legally.
We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens do not go to restaurants in Mauritania that serve alcohol or allow other criminal activity to occur on the premises.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Mauritania Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Mauritania located between the Presidency building and the Spanish Embassy on Rue Abdallaye. The postal address is B.P. 222, Nouakchott, Mauritania, at + (222) 4525-2660, Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Friday 8 a.m. to 12: 00 a.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is + (222) 3662-8163.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.