Event: As of 07 August 2020, the Mauritanian Ministry of Health has confirmed 6,418 cases of COVID-19 in Mauritania.
IMPORTANT: The Travel Advisory for Mauritania has been downgraded to Level 3 – Reconsider Travel. You may view Mauritania’s Travel Advisory here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Mauritania.html
Most airlines have resumed travel (with layovers) from Nouakchott to various airports in the United States. Travelers should book their tickets directly with the airlines.
At this time, only U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (i.e. green card holders) may transit through Paris to the United States.
Please send an email to email@example.com if you have additional questions about returning to the United States.
The government of Mauritania has closed all land borders. The only exception is for commercial merchandise. Private U.S. citizens should not try to cross any land border at this time.
The U.S. embassy’s operating hours are Monday to Thursday, 0800-1700 and Friday from 0800 -1200.
All Mauritanian schools and universities are closed until September 1, 2020.
U.S. Embassy Mauritania has suspended routine visa services. The Consular Section is still open for American Citizens Services. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. You may also contact the embassy’s duty officer at 3662-8163.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe and Mauritania advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel.
Actions to take:
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://mr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Nouakchott, Mauritania
Nouadhibou Road, Avenue Al Quds, NOT PRTZ
U.S. Embassy website: mr.usembassy.gov
- +222 3662-8203
ACS email: email@example.com
Duty Officer: +222 3662-8163
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Mauritania Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter