Location: Nouakchott, Mauritania, Arafat Neighborhood
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Nouakchott advises U.S. citizens of a planned demonstration by the Mauritanian Opposition Party today, February 5, 2018, at 5:00pm in the Arafat neighborhood. The group plans to protest the increase in food prices.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid the Arafat neighborhood this afternoon and evening.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt
- Review your personal security plans
- U.S. Embassy Nouakchott, Mauritania
+222 3662-8163 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444