Location: Gamal Abdel Nasser Ave. between the AFARCO building/Azalai Hotel and The Ministry of Gas, Energy and Mines at Carrefour Sabah (https://goo.gl/maps/MUPsbwq9Z7QLrCPy8). Other locations possible.
Event: A demonstration was planned for 4:00 PM today, Saturday, July 23, 2022, to protest announced price increases in fuel and other goods. Future demonstrations are considered possible.
While the demonstration has been cancelled due to lack of authorization, U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid the area as a precaution.
In the event a demonstration is deemed “unauthorized” by the government, there is a strong possibility of clashes between police and demonstrators.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area of Gamal Abdel Nasser Ave. between Carrefour Sabah and Azalai Hotel
- Monitor local media for updates
- Avoid demonstrations
- Be aware of your surroundings
- U.S. Embassy Nouakchott, +222 4525-2660, ConsularNKC@state.gov, https://mr.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs, +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C., time, which differs from local time.