Location: Nouakchott and other areas within Mauritania
Event: The upcoming relocation of the U.S. Embassy in Israel on May 14, 2018 may spark protests, some of which have the potential to become violent.
Actions to take:
- Keep a low profile;
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations;
- Be aware of your surroundings; and
- Review personal security plans
- S. Embassy Nouakchott, Mauritania
+222 3662-8163 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Mauritania Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Mauritania, which has recently relocated to Nouadhibou Road at Al Quds roundabout. The postal address is: Nouadhibou Road, Avenue Al Quds, NOT PRTZ, Nouakchott, Mauritania, at + (222) 4525-2660. Operating hours are: Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Friday 8 a.m. to 12: 00 a.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is + (222) 3662-8163.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Facebook.