Last updated: [03/03/23]
The CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Please email consularNKC@state.gov if you have questions about returning to the United States.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is there a vaccination or test requirement? No. On March 29, 2023 the Mauritanian Ministry of health decreed that proof of vaccination and/or a negative covid test is no longer required. This was published on the International Air Transport Association’s Travel Centre website on March 31, 2023.
- It is recommended to carry proof of covid vaccinations as a matter of prudence.
- Is a curfew in place? No.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No. Mauritania no longer requires quarantine for any traveler who arrives with a negative PCR test for COVID-19.
- Due to the constantly evolving situation, we cannot confirm the quarantine procedures upon entry into neighboring countries or upon entry into Mauritania.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Mauritania? Yes, U.S. citizens who seek a COVID-19 test may seek one at the following two locations: 1. The old Cardiology Hospital (Transfusion Center), or 2. The public health office across from the morgue entrance to the National Hospital. Antibody tests are available at many labs including Maurilab and Clinique Abiba.
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.html
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Mauritania approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes.
- Are vaccines available in Mauritania for U.S. citizens to receive? U.S. citizens (and other non-Mauritanians) over 18 years of age are eligible to receive vaccinations locally by queuing at vaccination centers in Nouakchott. Due to infrastructure limitations, availability outside Nouakchott is limited.
- Which vaccines are available in Mauritania? The government of Mauritania has approved AstraZeneca, Johnson and Johnson, and SinoPharm.
- More information on local availability of COVID-19 vaccines can be found here https://www.sante.gov.mr/?lang=fr .
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Fines for Non-Compliance:
- There are no known fines or punishments for not wearing a mask in a public area, but the U.S. embassy highly recommends wearing a mask as often as possible.
- Mauritanian Ministry of Health: https://www.facebook.com/MSMauritanie
- World Health Organization’s Mauritania Office: https://www.who.int/countries/mrt/
- Mauritania’s official news agency: http://www.ami.mr/
- Mauritanian public radio: https://www.radiomauritanie.mr/
- View U.S. Embassy Mauritania’s Most Recent Alerts https://mr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Mauritania.html