Last updated: [06/21/22]
As of 12:01 a.m. EDT June 12, 2022, the CDC order requiring all persons aged two and above to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States, is rescinded. Starting at 12:01 a.m. EDT on June 12, 2022, the CDC will no longer order air passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test result, or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19, prior to boarding a flight to the United States. Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Please email consularNKC@state.gov if you have questions about returning to the United States.
- Mauritania has 59310 confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders, of which there have been 982 deaths.
- The Mauritanian government has established a Coronavirus hotline which can be reached by dialing 1155.
- Large gatherings such as weddings are no longer allowed.
- Masks are required in public areas and Government buildings.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? NO, A NEGATIVE PCR TEST IS ONLY REQUIRED FOR ENTRY TO MAURITANIA IF YOU LACK PROOF OF FULL VACCINATION. Fully vaccinated is two weeks after final administration of vaccination with AstraZeneca, Sinopharm, Pfizer/BioNTech, Janssen (Johnson & Johnson), Moderna, Sinovac, or Covidshield, in addition to a negative PCR test within three days prior to arrival in Mauritania.Travelers should keep their test results with them throughout their travels because the test results can be requested by airline agents or immigration officials. IMPORTANT: U.S. Embassy Nouakchott has received reports of fully vaccinated persons still being require to present a negative PCR test result by airlines prior to boarding for Mauritania bound flights.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes. Mauritanian medical staff be taking temperatures via thermal camera at all ports of entry. If a traveler has a fever, that traveler will immediately take either a PCR or antigenic test to determine if the person has a COVID infection. Furthermore.
- Is a curfew in place? No.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No. Mauritania no longer requires quarantine for any traveler who arrives with a negative PCR test for COVID-19.
- Due to the constantly evolving situation, we cannot confirm the quarantine procedures upon entry into neighboring countries or upon entry into Mauritania.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Mauritania? Yes, U.S. citizens who seek a COVID-19 test may seek one at the following two locations: 1. The old Cardiology Hospital (Transfusion Center), or 2. The public health office across from the morgue entrance to the National Hospital. Antibody tests are available at many labs including Maurilab and Clinique Abiba.
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.html
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Mauritania approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes.
- Are vaccines available in Mauritania for U.S. citizens to receive? U.S. citizens (and other non-Mauritanians) over 18 years of age are eligible to receive vaccinations locally by queuing at vaccination centers in Nouakchott. Due to infrastructure limitations, availability outside Nouakchott is limited.
- Which vaccines are available in Mauritania? The government of Mauritania has approved AstraZeneca, Johnson and Johnson, and SinoPharm.
- More information on local availability of COVID-19 vaccines can be found here https://www.sante.gov.mr/?lang=fr .
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes.
- Is public transportation operating? Yes, masks are required in public areas, but this rule is seldom enforced.
Fines for Non-Compliance:
- There are no known fines or punishments for not wearing a mask in a public area, but the U.S. embassy highly recommends wearing a mask as often as possible.
- The Consular Section offers American Citizen Services by appointment only. If you need ACS services, please review the instructions at https://mr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/ or send an email to ConsularNKC@state.gov.
- The Consular Section has resumed limited tourist visa and student visa services. Please visit https://mr.usembassy.gov/visas/ for information on how to apply for a B1B2 tourist visa. If you need a student visa (F1) interview, please send your I-20 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Consular Office will contact you with proposed interview date and time.
- The U.S. embassy in Mauritania does not process immigrant visas or diversity visas. Please direct all questions on these types of visas to the U.S. embassy in Senegal at DakarImmigrantVisa@state.gov.
- Mauritanian Ministry of Health: https://www.facebook.com/MSMauritanie
- World Health Organization’s Mauritania Office: https://www.who.int/countries/mrt/
- Mauritania’s official news agency: http://www.ami.mr/
- Mauritanian public radio: https://www.radiomauritanie.mr/
- View U.S. Embassy Mauritania’s Most Recent Alerts https://mr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Mauritania.html